Thursday, March 19, 2009

Adult ADHD on the Job

*** A Reminder - Hunter in a Farmer's World has moved - please update your bookmarks, subscriptions and links to ADHDHunter.com ***

Adults dealing with ADHD have their challenges. Many of the basic skills that are needed to maintain a stable and secure life can be evasive for the adult with ADHD. Long-term relationships can be difficult to keep going. Controlling our impulsivity, so as not to be always living in the moment, can take a concerted effort. This effects everything from saving for rainy days to staying on top of mundane home routines. One of the greatest impacts of adult ADHD is often on work.

When we walk out the door for work each morning, tiptoeing behind us, in our shadows, is that pesky ADHD. Often that walk out the door is 10-15 minutes behind schedule, since we couldn't find our keys, wallets and pocketbooks right away. Next, when we are about a mile away from the house, we realize we forgot something - back to the house. Now, finally, we are at the office. Some mornings it is straight into ultra-performance. Often, we are losing time with various distractions. Intending to work right away on that client project, all too often several hours pass - Coffee? check!, E-mail? check!, Weather report for the weekend? check!, Quick call home to check in? check! - before we realize it's almost noon.

Very often, I find I can lose days with distractions (Twitter much?) then when faced with a near-impossible approaching deadline, work with super intense focus for back to back 20 hour days, to just wrap up in time. Am I bragging? No. I wouldn't recommend this approach to anyone. It is stressful, doesn't leave much of a margin for error and doesn't always create the best result.

To help with adult ADHD, adapt your work routine and environment to what works best for you. Personally, I know that my thoughts are razor sharp at 2, 3 or 4 AM - ideas and important memories come to me in a rapid, but controlled flood. By 8 PM I am mentally like mush, in that I process slower and am more easily distracted away from my work. The lesson for me is sleeping 2-3 hours and then starting work very early is more productive and comfortable for me, when dealing with extra time that is needed.

If I am conscious of not being able to focus on my work, music, particularly Mozart, can add a rhythm to my thoughts that keep me on track. What was next to impossible a minute earlier can be turned on like a light switch with music. This works for kids too. My daughter (9) and son (11) are very quick to put on music - yes, even classical - to help keep their focus.

These routines work for me, but we are all different. Try different routines if you can. You won't shut down your adult ADHD, but by experimenting with different environments, you can minimize the negative aspects and work in your "zone" using that wonderful ADHD intelligence and creative resourcefulness you have!

- Peace

TwitThis

No comments:

Post a Comment